I received a Christmas video greeting message from one of my business mentors, CEO of Quest Group, Mr KC See.
In the message, he suggested a method in which we can reflect and think about what to do in 2007. He says: “Stop, Start and Continue.”
Let me put it in the blogging context
What are the things you have done this year, that you think are time wasters, that do not contribute to your blogging goals? Have you spent too much time on Instant Messaging (IMs), do you feel that you have been reading too much and writing too little? Writing too much and reading too little? Are you spending too much time sorting feeds and porting from application to application? Are you burning too much midnight oil to keep your blogs going? (me! :mrgreen:)
Make an effort to stop these in 2007.
What are the things that you have not been doing in 2006, that you thought you wanted to, but somehow didn’t get down to doing it? The reasons (read: excuses!) are not important, it is important to get started!
Have you been procrastinating on writing your book? (me again!), developing your e-course (me), reaching out to real life people and friends and helping them (me), calling old friends to chat (me)?
Get started on these in 2007, put priority on these things!
Next, were there some things that you were doing in 2006, that you felt were good and you wish to continue them in 2007? Have you been blogging regularly and joining conversations? Have you been doing well in balancing your time between
work blog and play?
Make an effort to continue doing these things in 2007.
Here’s my list
Some time ago, I read that by announcing your goals and intentions to the world, you feel more pressured to do it (not that I don’t have enough pressure, but well…
- Working through the night and sleeping in the day (erm… doesn’t sound right as I am writing this at 5:21am)
- Tweaking my templates so much and focus more on writing good content
- Spending more than 8 hours in front of my computer – maybe I should read more books
- Working on my book. I’m one quarter through it but I’ve stopped writing and the momentum is dead again!
- Working on my e-course. Again, need to spend time away from posting and more time on the e-course
- Working on my workshop. I’ve been given assignments to speak, but I haven’t prepared for it yet!
- Exercising daily! Yuks, look at all the fat!
- Calling friends out to catch up and chat – I’ve been missing out on the real social life after putting so much time on this blog!
- Reaching out to real people and companies to help them get started on blogging! I’ve arranged a meeting next Tuesday and that is great! I’m excited!
- Writing original content for all my blogs! I think its not only about having original content, but honing my thinking, and writing (and entertaining using words) skills.
- Replying to my blog comments as quickly as I can.
- Posting how-to guides like the guide on installing WPMU on CPanel Servers, since I have the technical knowledge to do so.
- Keeping up with my crazy blogging schedule, and staying focused on blogging and blog marketing (not losing focus to other money making ideas!)
Hmm… its a short list here, I’m sure there will be more as I take some quiet time to think about it.
So what are yours? What are you going to Stop, Start and Continue doing next year? List them down on your blog and let me know about it through an email or trackback!